Thursday, February 28, 2013

St. Mary's - Quad City Interfaith - Sam. . .stuff

I'm the president of the Parish Council of St. Mary's. I also represent St. Mary's on the board of Quad City Interfaith. One of my favorite ways to communicate is e-mail, and I periodically send messages to our council and some folks, and here's one I sent tonight (trust me, there's nothing confidential or proprietary or even a little gossipy in this. But who knows? there might be something you'd find interesting or helpful or. . .something.)

"Hello, all, and God's blessings be with you.
Quad City Interfaith will be holding a Trivia Night this Saturday, March 2. It will be at the K. of C., 1111 W. 35th, downstairs. $10/person. Doors open at 6:30, trivia starts at 7:00. Bring your own food, beverages must be purchased on-site. We are sincerely really and truly hoping to fill at least one table from St. Mary's. Come one, come all for a night of fun and fellowship and trivia!
Oh - and baskets. My wife is among those who have put together baskets for this. Now if she would only let me see what's in one. . .

We took a survey at last weekend's Masses. In conjunction with Quad City Interfaith and some other area congregations St. Mary's is participating in Rekindling Our Congregations. The survey was to get a sense of what matters most to our members, and what we would have a Core Group do to help out. The actions wanted may be within our parish, or neighborhood, or larger community. A Core Group can be a wonderful instrument for good. Let's make it such.
Speaking of. . .We recently had a Saturday workshop of some QCI board members with Sam Finkelstein from Gamaliel of Illinois. One of the topics was 1x1 conversations. One-on-ones are a foundation of community organizing. Toward the end of the discussion we were asked how many 1x1s we could have toward building our Core Team. People would say eight or ten from their congregations. Sam said he has ten a day. (From anyone else that would be unbelievable. You should meet Sam. Really big bundle of energy in a really small package. He just might do ten a day.) I guess I might have stood out for my answer: "One." We at St. Mary's have the advantage of already having a Core Group, and what I'd like to see accomplished: every person involved with our Core Group to talk about our work, and invite one person to join us. Just one. Do I have anyone in mind? I cheated. I have two or three in mind. If any or all of the ones I have in mind do get involved, I plan to do a little mentoring, but not too much. The ones I have in mind need no handholding. They're smart, tough, and independent. Ask their opinion, and you're liable to get it. Once involved, they each will have a voice to be heard. I am so hoping. . .
So, God bless. . .have a great night. . .see you Saturday!"

Thanks for hanging out for a few!

No comments:

Post a Comment