Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Prayers

I didn't blog last night. I plead a lack of power. We had an outage (30 mph winds + ice and snow will do that), and while I do blog on a laptop, and we have an adequate supply of candles, the lack of power played havoc with the modem and the router. So I did what I should do every night if I had the common sense that God gave a turnip. I went to bed early.

But, no excuse tonight.

A couple of my favorite prayers:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.
 
Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
To be understood, as to understand,
To be loved, as to love.
 
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

In a copy of that prayer, the Peace Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi, there was a typo that I hadn't noticed before I printed it, so instead of "Divine Master", it was "Diving Master." God in flippers and snorkel, I guess. Air tank. . .

It's a prayer that reminds me of what I think God expects of me. It's the answer to the WWJD question. And, just now, I need the reminder.

John Michael Talbot does a musical version of this that is just awesome.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

I'm Rick, and I'm alcoholic. This is a prayer that is often said at AA meetings. Anyone could say it, I guess, and I say it in lots of settings away from AA meetings. Still, it has a special meaning for us.

That's all for tonight. I'm sick and tired. (And sick and tired of being sick and tired. Niters, and thanks for hanging out.

No comments:

Post a Comment