Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday today. This marks the start of Lent for Catholics and, for that matter, most Christians. It's been a tradition among many for a long time to give up something for Lent.

What to give up - what to give up?

There was a story in the Chicago Tribune some years ago. It was a day in the life of Francis Cardinal George, Archbishop of Chicago. The man's morning was paperwork and paperwork and more paperwork. His afternoon and evening were meeting after meeting after meeting, with more paperwork interspersed. Throw in the celebration of a Mass or two (it was a weekday,but we Catholics don't need a weekend to celebrate Mass. Besides, when does the Cardinal Archbishop of Chicago celebrate Mass? Any old time he feels like it.) Breakfast was in the residence, and was a working meal. Lunch was on the go, in the car. It was a peanut butter sandwich and an apple. The day was during Lent, and the paper pointed out that the peanut butter sandwich had no jelly. I'm guessing that Cardinal George had given up the J in his PB&J for Lent?

The story is told of a priest who gave up cream and sugar in his coffee one Lent. He found out that he preferred his coffee black. I wonder if, next year at Lent, he started putting cream and sugar back in?

I have always thought that an alternative to giving something up for Lent was to add a good habit. I have used the time of Lent for memorizing passages of Scripture. One year it was Psalm 51 (Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love. . .Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean. . .Put a new and right spirit within me"). Another year it was the creation account in John 1 ("In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with god, and the Word was God". The Greek word translated as "The Word" is ho Logos, and in Greek philosophy that's a loaded word. The writer of John was using language to say something very specific about who Jesus was, and the English doesn't quite capture it.) Another year it was a passage from Philippians 2 that means a lot to me ("Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus. . .") The memorization didn't take all of Lent, but I found myself savoring that passage, almost tasting it, swirling it around in my mouth like great food or a fine wine. Terrific experience.

Lent is, in the final analysis, a season for reflection, for repentance. It's similar to the Days of Awe between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur for Jews, or Ramadan for Muslims. So, I won't wish "Happy Lent"; that would be awkward at best. I wish you a richly blessed time, with wonderful reflection, and something that you will carry with you even after Lent.

Thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment