Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sunday! Sunday!

(was that an annoying commercial or what? sorry I even brought it up.)

My reading: I have made my way through most of Shelley's Prometheus Unbound. One theme that does seem to come up frequently in western literature is reflected in Mark Twain's famous statement that he would prefer heaven for the climate and hell for the company. In Dante, in Milton, Satan does seem to have the more interesting people around him. In Prometheus, the character cast out of heaven - Prometheus - is hardly a major character, not at all in he mode of the Satan of Milton. There are parallels, to be sure: in the beginning, both Prometheus and Satan lie bound in hell. The being that cast out Satan in Milton is the Judeo-Christian God; the being that cast out Prometheus is the Roman Jove. I haven't finished the work, so I don't know yet where Shelley is going with this. I do know that his use of the language is sublime.

Other reading: Yves Congar: Essential Writings. Congar was a Dominican friar. His work started before Vatican II, and his was an influential voice in Vatican II. Much of his work was on eccesiology - the study of the church - and ecumenism. I'm a bit peeved at this collection. Excerpting the work of a theologian like Congar, whose body of work was very extensive and who never in his life, I think, used the short-form thought about anything, is probably too much of a challenge. I would read a segment and wish more was there. Still, if the purpose of such a collection of shorter pieces is to entice the reader to read more of this person's work, this book may succeed.

So, back to my quiet, deliciously quiet and lazy Sunday. Thanks for hanging out!

Got no deeds to do, no promises to keep. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment