Monday, April 8, 2013

A bit of my childhood and MS and whatnot

The very first crush of my youngest years is gone.

I have thought at times that my first crush was the girl that lived just down the street. She went to Alleman; I went to UT. She studied French, I studied Latin. We were within a couple of months of being the same age, same grade in school, we both moved to East Moline from out of town at about the same time, we both experienced something of the "I'm an Outsider" feeling. As it happens, we didn't have nearly as much in common as I'd thought. We passed rather quickly out of each other's life in about our senior year.

Sometimes I thank God
For unanswered prayers.

So, later I met my true soulmate and best friend, and we're still newlyweds some 38 years and five kids and ten grandkids later. The other person's history? I have no clue.

But this wasn't my first crush. When I was in first grade my teacher was of Japanese descent. She was from Hawaii. Oh, did I have a crush on her. Miss Takano. During that year I took to doing a hula around the house wrapped in a bath to. . .er, a grass skirt. (Oh, to have my first grader's imagination again.) I think one Iowa winter was quite enough for Miss Takano.

But, even before that, there was Annette. She was the very first. I don't remember how old I was, but the Mickey Mouse Club stopped running in 1958, when I was five. And what I remember about this crush: What you saw was what you got. She came across as a wholesome, family-oriented person, and she never, as far as I know, disappointed. She was wife, mom. She has now passed away, and should be mourned.

She was diagnosed with MS. The diagnosis was in 1987, but she went public with it in 1992. She was notable for the courage and grace with which she handled this condition. I have some family and some dear friends who also contend with MS. For some, it's nearly invisible; for some, it affects only a limited part of them. Others have their bad days when they can barely get around. All have handled this far better than I could have; all are far better, braver people than I. So, all my respect for them.

And for my first crush, my first imaginary friend. RIP, Annette.

No comments:

Post a Comment