Thursday, June 5, 2014

Now - where we?

I noticed that almost a year has gone by since my last blog posting. 'Nuff of that already. Now that I have retired, I do have more time on my hands. I intend to write, partly because I don't really know what my views on a subject until I've researched and thought. My way of thinking usually involves writing about it. My intent: write twice a week. Midweek I'll write about something political/social/literary or whatever pops into my head. Saturday it will be some topic from my faith journey. If the students I have next year read the blog, they'll know what the topic is for the next day. Should I tell them?

I see that my last post was about a rally in Schwiebert Park in Rock Island. The park is between the Mississippi River (a lovely sight) and downtown Rock Island (meh.) The rally was for comprehensive immigration reform. It's an important issue for me. I attend St. Mary's Parish in Davenport. My parish is about 75% Latino. I have taught in the Christian Education program - Sunday School - for two years. My students, 19 of them, were middle school kids and high schoolers. They were the greatest kids I could ever have the honor of knowing and teaching. Every one of those kids is Latino, specifically Mexican-American.

My views on comprehensive immigration reform have, if anything, been given greater urgency by the tide of events. One such event was the deportation of one of our people at St. Mary's. We'll call him Vic.

Vic came north some years ago. Vic did some horrible, terrible things like, he got a job. Contrary to myth, immigrants do not take jobs away from American workers. They take jobs that American workers won't do. Some farmers out west tried running ads for work on their farms. Only those who could prove eligibility to work need apply. They offered a wage that was higher than that previously paid to the migrant workers. They got few responses. Among those hired, many did not last a day. None lasted a week. If you really want to deport the undocumented, then good luck finding a peach next year. Or an apple, or a tomato.

Vic got a job. I don't know what it was, but I do know that he held that job for fifteen years, until he was detained by Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE). The next myth is that immigrants suck up government benefits. Vic never received any kind of government assistance. His attitude: if I didn't earn it, I don't want it.

Vic got married here, and stayed married. He and his wife had a couple of kids. Terrible thing to do, I know.

Then Vic made his big mistake. He tried to become legal. One would think that a family man who would hold down a job for fifteen years would be the kind of person we'd want. The really BIG mistake? He hired a lawyer to help him through the process. The lawyer had no competence in immigration matters - one wonders if this lawyer had any competence in anything, since he is no longer practicing - and said lawyer messed up the timing of the documentation. ICE does not give second chances. One day ICE knocked on the door. Eventually Vic was deported. His wife and kids - U.S. citizens, all - decided to keep the family intact, and they joined Dad in Mexico, where he now drives a bus.

I met Vic. He's a good man, and neither he nor his family deserved any of this. Being undocumented isn't even a crime. It's a status offense, and those two terms are not synonymous.

A couple of cautionary notes for those who may have this issue to deal with:

  • If ICE knocks on your door, ask, while they are still outside, if they have a warrant. If they do not, DON'T LET THEM IN! No matter ho friendly they may act, they are not your friends.
  • The first part of the Miranda warning is, "You have the right to remain silent." You also have that right. If you are detained, politely but firmly state that you will only speak to the lawyer representing you. No matter how friendly the detainers may act. . .

I have some hope that there may be movement on this issue. The Republicans have a demographic gun pointed at their heads, and some seem aware of it. In the 2012 election, Obama won the Latino vote by roughly 70%-30%.  If you lose by a margin like that among one of the largest demographics, and by far the fastest growing group, your days as a significant national force are numbered. Among the states with the fastest-growing Latino populations are two states that have been Republican strongholds: Arizona and Texas. Anyone who wants to be President needs to be very aware, as Romney apparently was not. (Self-deport? Really?)

In the House, I see no such awareness. House members are not aware of much of anything outside their own districts.

Thus, my passion for this issue. We'll be doing another rally in September, in LeClaire Park in Davenport. I'll be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment